Wednesday, February 11, 2009

RESCUE ME

I had the new experience of shooting a scene on RESCUE ME on Monday.
I was up at 5:30AM and walked from my apartment to 13th and Broadway for a 7AM van pickup. The sun was rising on a very beautiful bright day. It was a New York morning like you read about in novels.
As I was heading East on 14th Street the sun began to blast it's way onto the hustling street.
I me the van and there were 3 other actors on board. We got to Long Island City in a very short trip. Went to a Studio that I never had seen and was pleasantly incorporated into the system by very cordial and friendly people.
I brought my own suit and shoes so the fitting was a snap. Make-up was a little pat on my nose. I ate some breakfast from the craft services, read and rested in my dressing room until called to set.
On a permanent BAR set I was introduced to a bevy of very fun and frenetic comic types.
Denis Leary not only stars in the series, but is also a producer. He was nice enough and that was fine with me. The director kept tripping on my name. He kept calling me by the Jewish conception configuration as I guess I LOOK Jewish nowadays. And after doing a rebellious 1960's activist from NY in CAROLINE OR CHANGE I must exude some Latke Likenesses.
Anyway..it was a long scene where, as a Justice of the Peace,I married Lou & Candy.
We did many takes and I had to keep on my toes as I was in the background and had to grab cues from Leary who was at the bar in intimate repartee with another actor.
The whole set was permeated by outspoken regulars who are obviously franchised to run with their improvisation. That was really interesting as the script was never adhered to. Well that isn't true it was somewhat adhered to. But the most disconcerting thing for me, a Day Player, is that I wasn't used to it.
Leary changed not only lines but CUES! Once I got it I was fine and I think I managed to not get too much in the way! =0-)
Ironically the looseness of the atmosphere was both enjoyable and a stumbling block.
In the end however I think the timing and result will be fine and funny.
The regulars have a comic standup background and when Leary went into that mode they easily followed in comic turn.
It is like a long running play that I happened to step into one afternoon.
Ironically Malina Govich who plays Candy was in CABARET with me. A beautiful girl with a great personality. And to add to that surprise, she and her husband live two blocks away from me. Small World!
I was home by 4:30 and in reflection was pleased with the experience. Many of the regulars were kind enough to thank me and say goodbye. I was surprised that the director, on wrap up, didn't.
My education on TV shoots is very different indeed.
__________________________________________________

We saw the ENCORES MUSIC IN THE AIR on Sunday evening.
It is not a good theatre piece. Kristin Chenowith and Doug Sills managed to dig into their vast talents and pulled some enjoyable moments and some wonderful singing. But the show itself is not stage worthy to my taste. Tom Alan Robbins was very good as were most of the character people. Tom and I were in SUNSET BLVD together and he is a reliable and sturdy performer. BRAVO Tom!
Dick Latessa's talents were employed as an adjunct to Marnie Nixon as her partner.
It was sweet to see her in the flesh but vocally she had no real shot at giving us her gusto vocally. She had a dull song that allowed a few money notes to pop. It was what the audience was waiting for and reacted appreciatively indeed!
That is about it for my foray into theatre and TV so far.
I sent for Tickets for BLITHE SPIRIT which I can't wait to see.
Angela Lansbury and Christine Ebersole are old pals and I am very anxious to enjoy them both in the same piece. A play which I never saw onstage but loved as a movie with Rex Harrison. I never saw HIGH SPIRITS the musical version with Tammy Grimes and the madcap Bea Lillie. Musically I thought the piece compromised but enjoyable.
Now that is a show ENCORES should include.
I am pleased the weather has shifted into the 50 degree range and allowed the windows to be open and refresh the rooms of my abode.
_________________________________________________________________

We are awaiting the results of all this buzz around the stimulus package. I think that the Bipartisanship has been overplayed. And I think that that if the package is continually compromised we won't see real progress.
We need the infrastructure and more green jobs.. and that Bailout for banks is a real sore spot.
Don't you love that Obama called on the Huffington Post which showed his awareness of the fact that the internet is a part of the News world!
That alone gave me more hope.
Ultimately I am optimistic that things are moving progressively forward but as long as the Republicans play the Stonewalling game we won't. So who is causing things to stagnate?

Am looking out on a sunny day and enjoying a slight cool breeze through my window. AAAaahhh.
I bought WHEN THE LION ROARS yesterday and am halfway through it.
It is a bit stilted and creaky as a documentary but the matter of fact views form those who worked there , stars and creative artists, is very enlightening and entertaining.
MGM..which had it all in spades and disintegrated trying simultaneously to stay as they were and yet morph into the new post WWII world.
In some ways there is a parallel with this time and administration and MGM isn't there?
Many things are cemented in past ways and yet we have inevitable change to deal with.
The only Constant in life is CHANGE.
I think the people are aware, more aware than before. I also think and believe that the political ground has shifted and is slowly changing. And when the media is so in the corporate pockets and conservative talking heads get most of the air time, we get a collective psyche thinking they are the ONLY voice. But they aren't are they.
The majority of Americans can't survive without help and without jobs, So all the malignancy of the Republican stagnancy and stonewalling is not gonna change the people's problem.
Eventually the progress has to prevail.
I am rambling and getting heated up about the Politics again.

Hope we all have a good day and listen to more Progressive radio on and off the Internet.
Ed Shultz on 1600 AM and Randi Rhodes 3-6Pm on NOVA stream online I Highly Recommend!

Enjoy the day..
Ciao

XXX
Keybored

No comments: