Thursday, December 18, 2008

OPENING NIGHT & DAY

We finally opened CAROLINE OR CHANGE to an enthusiastic and vociferous audience. They were on it from the get go. They laughed and applauded all through the piece.
All the Actors were ready to hand it to them and it was well received.INDEED!
I sang well and managed to not make large mis-steps.
E.Faye Butler was on her game and the audience JUMPED to their feet and ROARED for her. ALL DESERVED AND THEN SOME.
I imagine this theatre is Very proud of this piece.
Although I get a sense reluctance on the part of Irene Lewis to celebrate such a victory? I know the Budget thing is a problem as it is for the entire country..But this show is certainly a moment to SOAR with JOY as it is extraordinary.
It should do well for the financial side of things. Or at least I would imagine. I hope that the show and the season and the Center Stage theater, itself a jewel to play in, will overcome whatever problems and manage to continue bringing terrific productions like this to the very grateful and appreciative Baltimore audiences.
The opening night party was at Sasha's on Washington St near the Monument. I walked there after bringing things back to the apartment. It was a warm night and a pleasant if UPHILL walk. Baltimore is so silent and placid in the evenings.
We enjoyed ourselves with drink and some odd pasty cream cheesy spreads and crackers.
I took lots of pictures.
I found it odd that there was NO Press photos..
David Schweizer seemed very pleased with the show and he looked splendid in a "Winter White" wool suit. And Kenneth Roberson our sassy choreographer was handsome and debonaire. All the Girls looked terrific. The entire cast is a great group of personalities and talent.
I spent the entire afternoon walking the town for Opening gifts. Not easy finding theatrical gifts or cards that are appropriate. This is a large theatre town with major shows and lots of local Equity and Non Equity theatres. There should be at least a section of a shop somewhere, in MT VERNON area, that has SOMETHING THEATRICAL ala-BREAK A LEG or HAPPY OPENING NIGHT..like stuff ??
ONWARD
WIth the HOLIDAYS looming we are all managing to get it together as best we can. Some are going home to NY some have family and spouses coming.
I am staying here as it is too much for me to think of traveling on holidays.
I find it pleasant to stay put when i am working. Having to go to NY and audition or even to "Holiday" drains the hell out of me.
I found a beautiful arrangement of gorgeous flowers in my dressing room last night sent from my wonderful partner jeff. The company had a very beautiful arrangement sent form TONY KUSHNER and JEANINE TESORI the writer and composer of the Original. What a terrific surprise.
So now we are into a run and CAROLINE may CHANGE but he show must Maintain!

XXX
Keybored

No comments: